J. Erik Jonsson '22 Professor of Science
Professor, Physics, Applied Physics, and Astronomy
Professor, Electrical, Computer & System Engineering
B.S., Physics, Peking University, Beijing,
M.S., Physics, Brown University, 1983
Ph.D., Physics, Brown University, 1986
Dr. Zhang has received 20 US patents, 7 international patents and numerous awards including
the National Science Foundation's CAREER award, Rensselaer Early Career Award, Research
Corporation's Cottrell Award, and China's Outstanding Scholar Award. He is a Fellow of
IEEE, the Optical Society of America, the American Physics Society, and World Innovation
Foundation. He joined RPI in 1992 and has held faculty positions at Xiamen University,
Institute of Physics, Institute of Fine Machines and Optics, Shanghai Institute of Microsystem
and Information Technology, Chinese Academy of Science, Capital Normal University of Beijing,
and the Shanghai University.
- Terahertz Optics Sensing
- Terahertz Optics Imaging
Terahertz Optics Sensing
Zhang's work with time-domain THz
spectroscopy systems holds promise for diagnostics of materials
such as semiconductors and biomolecules. THz time-domain spectroscopy
uses short pulses of broadband THz radiation, typically generated
using ultrafast laser pulses. The transmitted THz electric
field is measured coherently, which provides both high sensitivity
and time-resolved phase information.
Terahertz Optics Imaging
Zhang's interest in THz wave imaging is a result of the availability
of phase-sensitive spectroscopic images. These images, called
"functional images," are ideal for dry dielectric
substances including paper, plastics, and ceramics. Zhang's
research centers on two-dimensional THz wave imaging through
free-space electro-optic detection and on THz ray, or T-ray,
imaging for probing the dielectric properties of three-dimensional
- “Coherent terahertz echo of tunnel ionization in gases,” Nicholas Karpowicz and X.-C. Zhang, Physics Review Letters, 102, 093001 (2009).
- “Terahertz wave generation from gas plasma at standoff distances using a phase compensator with attosecond phase-control accuracy,” Jianming Dai and X.-C. Zhang, Applied Physics Letters, 94, 021117 (2009).
- “Two-dimensional acoustic phase imaging with millimeter wave radiation,” Albert Redo-Sanchez, Gurpreet Kaur, X.-C. Zhang, Federico Buersgens, and Roland Kersting, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 57, 589, (2009).
- “Coherent millimeter wave to mid-infrared measurements with continuous bandwidth reaching 40 THz,” N. Karpowicz, J. Chen, T. Tongue, and X.-C. Zhang, Electronics Letters 44, 544 (2008).
- “Tunable Broadband Anti-Reflection Structures for Silicon at Terahertz Frequency,” Y. W. Chen, P. Y. Han and X.-C. Zhang, Applied Physics Letters, 94, 041106 (2009)
For a complete list of publications please click here.
Professor, Department of Physics, Applied Physics and Astronomy
Professor, Department of Electrical, Computer and System Engineering
Erik Jonsson Chair Professor of Science
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute,
110 8th Street
Troy, NY 12180-3590 USA
Personal Web Page: http://www.rpi.edu/~zhangxc
BACK TO TOP