Student and Campus Experience
Student Life and Services
- Opened new residence hall (Barton Hall).
- Renovated Student Union building.
- Renovated Bray, Cary, Hall, Crockett, Nason, and Warren residence halls.
- Completed landscape and site improvements to Commons residence halls.
- Constructed new entrance to Commons Dining Hall. Installed new elevator, new restrooms and renovated mail room.
- Constructed (through privatization) new Sixth Avenue Howard N. Blitman P.E. '50 Residence Commons (opened Fall 2009).
- Implemented Campus Transportation Service and Shuttle Bus Service.
- Initiated rolling renovations of all upperclass undergraduate residence halls.
- Created new graduate housing projects on Peoples Avenue.
- Created Student Life Services Center, through renovation of Academy Hall.
- Created new hospitality venues at Jazzman’s Café, Moe’s Southwestern Grill (formerly Java++ Coffee House), new Library Café, Rensselaer Union Rathskellar, Father’s Marketplace renovation and BARH Dining Room.
- Completed renovations to Russell Sage Dining Hall, doubling its size.
- Increased quality of online customer services, including registration anywhere in the world, financial aid renewal, veteran’s benefits processes, class lists with individual student pictures, and degree audit, online transcript order process, implemented grade modifiers.
- Improved quality of student health insurance program while reducing the annual cost of per student.
- Created new pipeline summer programs to attract talented women and underrepresented ethnic groups.
- Improved customer service in Rensselaer Union Bookstore with implementation of Bookstore Pre-Pack program.
- Implemented annual Classical Concert Series.
- Increased number of student clubs from 125 to over 200.
- Delivered teambuilding, goal setting, public speaking, and leadership development to students in pipeline programs.
- Developed new administrative processes for graduating students including a seamless on-stage diploma distribution process, on-line degree status, and early alert review.
- Developed student and course enrollment data marts in Data Warehouse.
- Created pilot living/learning community focused on the earth and its environment (the Vasudha Living & Learning Community at Rensselaer).
- Created leadership themed-living area for first-year students.
- Increased student staffing in upperclass student apartment areas.
- Improved residential environment by designating all residence halls and apartments entirely smoke free as of May 20, 2007.
- Developed Opening Doors program with teams of faculty and staff visiting students in residence halls to discuss adjustment issues, satisfaction levels and general experience at Rensselaer.
- Initiated CLASS initiative (Clustered Learning, Advocacy, and Support for Students), with residential clusters and live-in Cluster Deans, and with Class Deans (beginning Fall 2009).
- Established new positions for class deans and residential cluster deans.
- Established position of Assistant Dean for Off-Campus Students.
- Launched tobacco-free campus initiative July 1, 2010.