Laptop Specs Fall 2010 -- Lenovo ThinkPad
We're pleased to announce that we've selected Lenovo's T410 laptop as part of Rensselaer's Fall 2010 Mobile Computing package, at a purchase price of $1,775.
ThinkPad T410 specifications include:
- Intel Core i5-540M dual-core processor at 2.53 GHz (base), up to 2.93 GHz (turbo)
- 4 GB 1333 MHz DIMM RAM (1 open slot), 8 GB maximum)
- 14" 1440 x 900 display
- 500 GB 7200 RPM hard drive
- 512 MB NVIDIA NVS 3100m graphics card
- Dual-layer R/W DVD
- Gigabit wired Ethernet network connection
- Intel 6300 a/b/g/n integrated wireless
- 56K V93 modem
- Ports: Four USB 2.0 (one powered), eSATA, VGA, DisplayPort, ExpressCard slot, and Multiread card slot
- UltraNav multi-touch Touchpad/TrackPoint pointing device
- Integrated webcam camera
- Fingerprint reader
- 9-cell Lithium-ion battery with one-year warranty
- Four-year manufacturer's warranty
- Four-year ThinkPad Protection against accidental damage
About some of the features...
The T410's yellow powered USB port means you can charge your smartphone or other USB-powered devices even when the ThinkPad is in suspend/hibernate mode.
One of the laptop's USB ports is also an eSATA port, which provides a much faster
connection when connected to an external device such as an external hard
The ThinkPad T410 is optimized for videoconferencing use with dual noise
canceling microphones, low-light sensitive cameras with auto-white
balancing, and a lighted microphone mute switch on the keyboard. Every
T410 comes with an LED backlit display.
The T410 trackpad has multi-touch capability with a slightly
dimpled surface, and its keyboard layout has keys that are
spaced more tightly together. The ESC and Delete keys are larger, and
the Caps Lock and Power switches are lighted.
The ThinkPad T410 is EPEAT Gold-compliant and Energy Star 5.0-certified, making this an excellent choice as a smart, "green" laptop.
- Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit)
- Microsoft Office Professional 2010 (32-bit; 64-bit available for user installation)
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (32-bit)
- Maplesoft Maple symbolic algebra program (64-bit)
- MathWorks MATLAB (64-bit)
- National Instruments LabVIEW (32-bit; 64-bit available for user installation)
- Siemens NX CAD package (64-bit)
- MapInfo Professional (32-bit)
- Bentley Microstation (32-bit)
- Adobe Digital Collection, which includes Premiere Elements, Photoshop Elements, and Acrobat Professional, plus Soundbooth and Contribute (32-bit)
- Symantec anti-virus software suite (64-bit)
* The software is pre-installed on the laptop computer.
Educational licenses are included, but installation CDs
Mobile Computing Package information
The complete Fall 2010 Mobile Computing package will include:
- The Lenovo T410 laptop with full complement of pre-installed software
- A laptop security cable with lock
- An Ethernet cable
- A Kelty laptop backpack
- An iClicker personal response unit
The package also includes a four-year manufacturer's warranty, as well as
four-year ThinkPad Protection against accidental damage.
Sometime in early July, incoming freshmen will receive a packet of complete laptop information -- including a brochure of laptop specifications, cost information, and order forms -- at their home/permanent address through the US mail.
Those upperclassmen and graduate students who wish to purchase a Fall 2010 Mobile Computing package may do so by printing out and completing the laptop order form. Juniors and third-year students who currently own a T61 or T61p also have the option to trade up their laptop.
Bringing your own laptop?
If you plan to bring your own laptop to campus, please keep in mind that your laptop is subject to minimum or comparable system specifications. You may also want to check with your curriculum advisor for any special software requirements.
All laptops will be distributed during Navigating Rensselaer & Beyond, which is scheduled to be held from August 24 - 29, 2010. Please note that because laptop distribution is a scheduled event, you cannot choose which day to pick up your laptop. You will be notified by Residence Life as to when you should report to the designated distribution area.