Laptop Specs Spring 2010 -- Lenovo ThinkPad W500
Lenovo's W500 laptop has been selected as part of Rensselaer's Spring 2010 Mobile Computing package, at a purchase price of $1,825.
Incoming freshmen may receive a packet of complete laptop information -- including order forms -- at their home/permanent address through the US mail by sometime in January. All other students can obtain the order form via the link provided at the bottom of this webpage.
ThinkPad W500 specifications include:
- Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 processor at 2.8 GHz
(6 MB L2 cache, 1066 MHz system bus, 64-bit CPU)
- 4 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM (0 open slots)
- 15.4” WSXGA+ 1680 x 1050 display
- 320 GB 7200 RPM hard drive
- 512 MB ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 graphics card
(Switchable to Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 MHD)
- Ultrabay Slim DVD +- RW/CD-ROM writer
- Gigabit Ethernet network connection
- 802.11a/b/g/n integrated wireless
- 56K V93 modem
- Ports: Three USB 2.0, VGA DB-15, DisplayPort, RJ-11 modem,
RJ-45 Ethernet, 1394 Firewire 400, microphone, headphone
- PC card slot, ExpressCard slot, Multiread card slot
- UltraNav touch pad/TrackPoint pointing device
- Integrated webcam camera
- Fingerprint reader
- 9-cell Lithium-ion battery with one-year warranty
The package also includes a four-year manufacturer's warranty, as well as
four-year ThinkPad Protection against accidental damage.
- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit)
- Microsoft Office Pro 2007
- Maplesoft Maple symbolic algebra program
- MathWorks MATLAB
- National Instruments LabVIEW
- NX5 (Unigraphics) CAD package
- MapInfo Professional
- Bentley Microstation
- Adobe Premiere Elements
- Adobe Photoshop Elements
- Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Symantec anti-virus software suite
* The software is pre-installed on the laptop computer.
Educational licenses are included, but installation CDs
The Spring 2010 Mobile Computing package also includes:
- A laptop security cable with lock
- An Ethernet cable
- A Kelty laptop backpack
- An iClicker personal response unit
Laptop order form
Bringing your own laptop?
If you're planning to bring your own laptop to campus, please keep in mind that your laptop is subject to minimum system specifications. You may also want to check with your curriculum advisor for any special software requirements.
On Friday, January 22, students who opted in to Rensselaer's Mobile Computing Program will pick up and configure their laptops immediately after their advisement and registration sessions, according to the following schedule:
- First-year students: 2:00pm - 4:00pm -- VCC North
- Transfer students: 1:50pm - 2:30pm -- VCC South