How to Get Your ThinkPad Repaired:
Warranty Repairs and ThinkPad Protection
1. Go to the Help Desk on the main floor of the Voorhees Computing Center
(VCC). Consultants are on duty to discuss your problem and help you with
potential software issues.
2. If it appears to be a hardware problem, the Help Desk staff will refer you to Rensselaer
Computer Repair (RCR), which is an authorized ThinkPad repair center that can handle
most of the repairs covered by the ThinkPad warranty and ThinkPad Protection.
RCR is located in VCC 115 on the lower level of the VCC and is open from
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. You can contact them by calling
276-8178 or via e-mail.
You may be eligible
to pick up a loaner machine. Loaners are available on a first come, first served basis to students
participating in the Mobile Computing Program who bring their laptop
to RCR for repair. Use of a loaner is based on availability at the time
of repair and you should be aware that while we will try to accommodate
you, use of a loaner machine is not guaranteed.
To have your laptop repaired when you are off campus, call the ThinkPad Help Center at 1-800-426-7378. It's important that you have your laptop with you when you call, as you will need to provide the repair staff with various numbers which are located on the machine.
- Select option 1 for hardware technical support, option 1 for service call, and option 1 for knowing your four-digit machine type. Enter your four-digit machine type, which appears on the label on the bottom of your laptop, then option 4 for all other hardware support questions. A representative will pick up the line.
- To process your claim, you will need your laptop model and serial number, which are also located on the label on the bottom of your laptop. (This information is usually preceded by "S/N" on the label.)
- After consulting with a Lenovo representative, you will receive a pre-paid shipping box. Send your laptop to them in the box with an explanation of the problem. Your laptop will be returned to you at no cost for shipping. ThinkPad Support should typically fix your computer within 7 to 10 business
You can also choose to ship your machine to Rensselaer Computer Repair for service. If you choose this option, please contact them first via e-mail.
If you are outside of the United States, contact Lenovo directly at 1-800-426-7378. When you call, be sure to have the make/model and serial number of your laptop ready; you can find these on the bottom of your laptop.
Lenovo will provide you with information and/or instructions on how you can best get your computer repaired. For example, they may direct you to take your laptop to the nearest Lenovo repair center, or may provide you with a pre-paid shipping box in which you can send your laptop back to Lenovo with an explanation of the problem.
Planning to study or travel abroad for a semester? Please be sure to read our recommendations and repair service information before you leave campus.