The 4th edition of Outstanding Black College Students (O.B.C.S.)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Larry Singleton on June 22, 1998 at 14:48:37:

BACKGROUND

In reviewing the literature for my survey of 100 Talented Black Undergraduates Students, I noticed there was a dearth of studies highlighting Black
success--academic, creative, and successful leadership. Moreover, for every study highlighting Black success there were at least 55 studies focusing on Black under
achievement--high attrition rates, low reading score, and low IQ scores, or a combination of all three. To compensate for the paucity of Black undergraduate success
stories, I compiled hundreds of names of high achieving Black college students and listed their academic, creative, or leadership achievements: thus the birth of the
publication OUTSTANDING BLACK COLLEGE STUDENTS. This publication will serve as a prototype for organizations that plan to develop comparable city,
district, or state publications highlighting Black success-in academic, creative, and leadership fields.

One point should be made clear. I am not implying that the government should stop supporting programs that provide assistance to underachievers. In fact,
government, businesses, and local communities should galvanize more support for programs that benefit underachievers. It is hoped that this publication will serve as
an inspiration to underachievers rather than an invidious comparison. I believe that all human beings have the potential to achieve their optimum intellectual
development if provided with opportunity and incentive.

The 4th edition of Outstanding Black College Students (O.B.C.S.) is seeking submissions for its annual publication. As with the 3rd edition, Dr. Larry Singleton, a Black education professor, will highlight Black college students' academic, creative, and leadership accomplishments.

Example of Entry:

DOE, JOHN - Vice President Student Government Assoc; Major: Journalism;
Jump for Joy Gospel Choir; Poet; Student Council; Black History Month
Committee; Tutor; Million Women March Supporter; Sophomore.

Students may either e-mail or fax entries
E-MAIL: LSingleton@umassd.edu
FAX: 508-999-8901
TELE: 508-999-8271

O.B.C.S. WEB ADDRESS:
http://www.umassd.edu/SpecialPrograms/obcs/welcome.nclk

ADDRESS:
Dr.Larry Singleton
University of Massachusetts
285 Old Westport Road
Dartmouth,Massachusetts  02747

SPREAD THE WORD