The hostmaster function at Rensselaer is provided by the Information Technologies Insfrastructure department, a Division of the Chief Information Officer (DotCIO).
The primary function of hostmaster is to manage network names and IP addresses for users of the Rensselaer computer networks, excepting networks administered by the Computer Science Department.
You can reach the hostmaster by sending electronic mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by campus mail to VCC 217. Hostmaster does not accept verbal or voice mail requests.
Services Provided by Hostmaster at Rensselaer:
- Receive and process requests for IP addresses and names on CIS administered networks.
- Maintain domain name mapping for users across campus.
- Maintain campus Domain Name Service (DNS).
- Location and verification of existing host names.
How to Obtain an IP address from the Hostmaster:
When making requests for IP addresses to hostmaster, please provide as much of the following information as possible. This will help us process your request in a timely manner.
- Name of person requesting the hostname:
- Name of the primary user of the host:
- Building and room number where the host is located:
- RPI Department or organization name:
- Domain name the host is a member of:
- Desired host name:
- Type of machine and operating system:
- Serial number of the host if known:
- RPI property management tag number on the host if known:
- Name of the system administrator if different from primary user:
- Sub-network the host will be connected to:
In abbreviated form this would be: