Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute | About RPI | Academics | Research | Student Life | Admissions | News & Events | Virtual Tour
Rensselaer Department of Public Safety
Home Your Safety Our Services RPI Community Education & Training Contacts Publications Resources
*
The Rensselaer Community
The Rensselaer Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan

Campus Preparedness

Campus Policing

Access Control

Closed Circuit Television (CCTV)

Community Education

Community Outreach Programming (C.O.P.)

Alcohol and Drug Policy

Silent Watch Program

Public Safety Personnel

Related Links:

Parking

Ambulance

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Call: Public Safety Department: 276-6611 or 911 from a campus phone.
Note: Dialing 911 from a cell phone will not connect you with Public Safety

What to Know

Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that is highly toxic when inhaled. Dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can be produced from improperly vented heating sources, water heaters, fireplaces, and automobile tail pipes. Any vehicle or appliance that burns fuel may emit carbon monoxide. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, a sick or queasy feeling, and malaise or sudden tiredness. These symptoms will quickly worsen over time.

What to Do

To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Ensure that all fuel-burning items are properly ventilated;

  • Never turn on the oven to heat your kitchen; and

  • Never operate gas or charcoal barbeque grills, kerosene or oil burning heaters in an enclosed space.

Know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Chest pain
  • Tiredness or weakness
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Irritability, agitation, and confusion

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Leave your residence quickly

  • Call 911

  • Get yourself and others to fresh air immediately

  • Contact your local utility department

More Safety Information

Rensselaer Copyright ©2005-2008 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)
110 8th Street, Troy, NY 12180   (518) 276-6000