Sample Problem 1: Speed and Frequency
of Light Leaving an Optical Fiber
Light moving from an optical fiber to air changes wavelength
from 452nm to 633nm.
- What is the index of refraction of the fiber?
- What is the speed of light in the fiber?
- What is the frequency of the light in the fiber?
- What is the frequency of the light in air?
- Since we do not have five digits of accuracy in this problem, we can assume
that the wavelength of light in air, air = 633 nm is
the wavelength of the light in vacuum 0.
The index of refraction inside the fiber is 1.40.
- Click for next step.
Copyright © 1999 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and DJ Wagner. All Rights Reserved.