The campus network is protected by firewalls administered by DotCIO at the perimeter.
Configuration varies by subnet, but generally all outbound
connections are allowed and inbound connections are denied unless
Requesting Firewall Changes
Before submitting a request for a firewall change please review the following
* Change requests will not be accepted for ResNet. Students on ResNet may run a personal web server (TCP port 80). No other inbound services will be allowed through the firewall.
* If the requested service is to be provided to Rensselaer community members (faculty, staff, students), please have users use the VPN service rather than requesting firewall modification. The VPN service requires RCS account, but guest accounts can be sponsored for non RPI members which
also may more appropriate than general firewall changes.
* Only active (non passive) FTP will be supported for on campus ftp servers through
* Firewall change requests will only be considered if they are from
a faculty or staff member. Students requesting services should find the
appropriate faculty/staff sponsor to submit the request.
Submitting a Change Request
Please submit the change request to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following
* IP address of server - must be a static IP address registered in RPI's DNS.
* MAC address of server
* Physical location of server - building & room number
* Name and contact information for primary & secondary server administrator
* Description of service to be provided
* Application Protocol (TCP, UDP, other), port number(s).
Requests will be answered within 3 business days.
Requests may require sign off from additional personnel in your department.
As part of the request process the server may be scanned for vulnerabilties.
Periodic scans may be performed to ensure servers are maintained following industry best practices.
Servers that fail to stay current may have their firewall changes revoked.