Optimization is the mathematical techniques involved in the procedures used to make a system or design as effective or functional as possible.
Optimization at Rensselaer
Researchers in the Mathematical Sciences department study the following areas of optimization:
- Geometric programming.
- Multiple objective linear programming.
- Algorithm development and evaluation in nonlinear programming.
- Applications of mathematical programming.
- Computational optimization.
Optimization applications are also researched in the Computer Science department and throughout Rensselaer’s School of Engineering.
Researchers currently work on:
- Database query optimization.
- The development of an optimization model of locating protein binding sites on DNA strands.
- Portfolio optimization.
- Design of optimal critical airfoils.