An area of research is combustion theory.
Combustion theory applies mathematical theory, modeling, numerical simulation and experimental techniques to the study of combustion.
Combustion Theory at Rensselaer
Researchers at Rensselaer focus on:
- Investigating mathematical modeling of combustion and flame propagation phenomena.
- Analysis of the resulting systems of nonlinear ordinary and partial differential equations.
Topics of current interest include:
- Bifurcation and stability of reactive systems.
- Evolution and interaction of waves in reactive gases.
- Combustion and vortex breakdown in swirling flows.
- Transition from deflagration to detonation in granular explosives.