RPI Mail Services
RPI Mail Services RPI Mail Services *
RPI Mail Services

Home | Faculty/Staff | Students | Package Tracking | Contacts
Change of Address Instructions for International Students

International students are required to report changes in their U.S. address directly to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security within 10 days of the address change.

All nonimmigrants (except those in A or G status), 14 years of age or older, who will remain in the U.S. for 30 days or longer, are required by law to notify the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) within 10 days of a change of address in the U.S. The parent or legal guardian of a nonimmigrant child under the age of 14 is responsible for notifying DHS of the child's change of address. Failure to comply with this requirement is a violation of immigration status that is punishable by fine or imprisonment and/or deportation.

If your address has changed since the last time you were issued a Form I-94 Departure Record, you must file Form AR-11 with DHS within 10 days of your move in order to satisfy the notification requirement. If you are subject to Special Registration, you must file Form AR-11SR, not the AR-11. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services also allows you to use an e-Filing option for submitting and tracking your forms.

Filing a forwarding address with the U.S. Postal Service will not satisfy the reporting requirement. Mail from the U.S. government will not be forwarded by the Post Office and will be returned to the issuing government agency as undeliverable.

The change of address you make on the Form AR-11 or Form AR-11SR will not be communicated to the RPI Mail Center. Therefore, if you are an applicant for immigration benefits, you must also change your address information in the Student Information System.

RPI Mail Services
RPI Commemorative

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
* * *
Copyright ©2007-2009 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Web site designed and produced by Daria Robbins, Web Communications, SC&ER