About the Lally School
Located in the heart of Upstate New York's Tech Valley, the Lally School of Management is the business school at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. We develop aspiring business leaders who have a passion for innovation with the ability to work across business functions. Our programs are built around the themes of innovation, technology, and entrepreneurship in the global economy.
To be a preeminent business school that creates and disseminates knowledge to leverage advanced management practices, analytical insights, and technology for the benefit of society.
To bridge management and technology to create sophisticated global business leaders who are prepared to guide their organizations in the conversion of pioneering ideas and analytical insights into innovative products, processes, and businesses.
- Innovative Spirit - We have the confidence to think in terms of what is new, possible, and exciting, and the courage to change the world based on our conclusions.
- Impact and Relevance - We make a difference through rigorous and practical research, education, and application.
- Engaged and Supportive Community - We work together constructively and actively toward the betterment of the School, the Institute, and the global community.
- Intellectual Vibrancy - We promote an environment that fosters the exchange of ideas, leading to insight and discovery.
As a Lally student you will:
- Receive an outstanding education in the fundamentals of business.
- Learn the specialized skills needed to succeed in the workplace of the future.
- Develop the skills to integrate technology across business functions for commercial results.
- Acquire “real-world” experience through study that emphasizes hands-on projects and teamwork from day one.
- Leverage the resources at Rensselaer to network, learn, and position yourself to capitalize on the business opportunities of tomorrow.
- Have access to Lally's highly respected international faculty as well as students and faculty from engineering, information technology, science, architecture, humanities and social sciences, the Rensselaer Technology Park and the Severino Center for Technological Entrepreneurship.
Kenneth T. and Thelma P. Lally
The Lally School of Management was named after Rensselaer trustee and philanthropist Kenneth T. Lally and his wife, Thelma P. Lally. A successful entrepreneur who saved the historic W. and L. E. Gurley Company (now Gurley Precision Instrument Co.), Mr. Lally knew the challenge of managing a technological venture reliant on innovation for success. Mr. Lally was an important member of the Rensselaer community for almost 40 years -- as a business leader, an entrepreneur, and a trusted advisor.
To help the management school gain national prominence, the Lallys made a generous donation of $15 million in 1995, which was, at the time, the largest single gift in the history of Rensselaer. Their generosity has made an impact on Rensselaer that is invaluable, and has established a lasting legacy in management education.