Connecting to RPIís Wireless Network Using 802.1x PEAP
You can connect to RPIís wireless network in one of two ways depending
on which SSID (a unique name for a wireless local area network) you want
Instructions for configuring IBM Access Connections for 802.1X PEAP:
- Start IBM access connections. Go to the Start menu ->
All Programs, choose Access IBM, Access
IBM. From the
Access IBM menu, choose Configure in the
top horizontal menu. From this menu, choose Manage connections, then choose
connection settings Ė IBM Access Connections.
- Create a new profile choosing a unique name to describe the location
- Choose your wireless adaptor. Be sure to disable radio when switching
to a different profile to ensure you do not inadvertently cause a network
- Keep the default settings for TCP/IP and Advanced DNS settings.
- Fill in the correct SSID Ė this is very important.† The SSID should be
The Wireless security type should be IEEE
- Change EAP type to PEAP.† Uncheck Validate Server
- Leave default settings for Internet Explorer Proxy Setting.
- Ensure you enable your firewall and check Disable Internet Connection
- For printer setup, choose the default setting. Keep the default
settings for program setup. Save
your profile.† When
connecting via the profile, you will be prompted for your userid and password
802.1X/PEAP (GTC) Clients
RPI is currently only supporting PEAP (GTC), not PEAP (MS-CHAPv2).† PEAP
(GTC) is available as part of the standard RPI image for the Fall 2004
and 2005 laptops (T42 and T43).† A list of wireless cards and drivers
which can support PEAP (GTC) can be found at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partners/pr46/pr147/partners_pgm_partners_0900aecd800a7907.html (must
be v2 or greater).
If you do not have a PEAP (GTC) client, you can connect to the wireless
network via the VPN method.† Alternately,
you could obtain a client at a cost from either http://www.funk.com or