Status for Information
John E. Kolb
Rensselaer Plan Strategies
* Provide a technology infrastructure that is foremost in reliability, availability and responsiveness.
* Maintain a robust intellectual and human infrastructure consisting of responsive policies and tools.
* Claim ownership for creating the model of the future research library.
* Demonstrate leadership in cutting edge information technology by supporting high-end computing.
* Coordinate anti integrate campus information systems for knowledge management in support of decision-making.
* Upgrade its physical plant.
Strategic Planning - Information
Create a Strategic Planning and Development Group in CIS
* to provide support and guidance for institute-Wide initiatives in information management, utilization, policies, and technology planning.
Vision and Mission
Vision: To provide a leading edge integrated information environment for the Rensselaer community.
Mission: Computing and Information Services (CIS) provides enabling information services and technology to the diverse Rensselaer community. We collaborate with campus constituents to find solutions for changing education, research, communications and business needs.
CIS Emerging Priorities
· Strategic Planning for Information Infrastructure
· Networks and IT Infrastructure
· Integrated Administrative Data and Architecture
· New Research Library Model
· Academic Computing/Research Support
· Communication and Collaboration Tools
Network & IT Infrastructure
· Upgrade the campus communications "physical plant."
· Upgrade campus communications facilities.
· Upgrade campus communications service.
· Examine new technologies & support new initiatives.
Integrated Administration Data & Architecture
· Improve administrative computing
· Manage and deliver technology
· Provide customer Support services
· End-user training to enable best use of availabletools
· Enable information services that support activities
outside the classroom and laboratory.
· Provide the community with centralized information systems for university operations and decision making.
· Create an institutional digital preservation policy for enhanced access.
* Achieve full deployment of mobile computing
· For all undergraduates
· Integration in upper-level curricula
* Increased support for research computing
· Provide "research-oriented" services
* Improve faculty use of technology in teaching
· Teaching and technology roundtables
· Extended support and training
New Research Library
· Provide seamless access to information resources
· That support the teaching, learning, and research activities
· Teach information literacy skills
· Same as consultants to facilitate the educational research, professional and administrative goals of campus constituents
· Apply state-of-the-art information management systems
· Develop strategies for collections and access
· Articulate new standards for defining the research library
· Upgrade the Libraries' physical plant
· Establish highest possible quality Web presence
· A new organizational structure and new collaborative relationships to set strategy and leverage resources
· Expand support for campus-wide Web applications for communication and collaboration.
· Offer new and improved campus-wide applications for communication and collaboration.
· Provide expanded video services to the campus.