This website was created by Scott Ogoreuc and Greg DiLeo as a project for Introduction to Biochemical
Engineering, Fall Semester of 2000.
Sterilization = The removal or destruction of an organism that may affect
a process or a product.
- Destructive Sterilization:
- Radiation - The use of high energy radiation to demolish unwanted organisms
Thermal - The controlled addition of heat to destroy thermally sensitive contaminants
- Removal Sterilization:
- Filtration - The separation of microorganisms from a medium by particle size
- Processes Sterilization:
- Batch - Sterilizing the entire volume of medium at once using the heating, holding, and cooling method
Continuous - Sterilizing only a fraction of the volume at a time by using the medium as an internal heat exchanger
- Sterilization Game - A simulation of sterilization and its results based on a program written by Henry Bungay
Pall.com - Visit the largest online resource for filtration and separations solutions