TeXLive 2007: Installing TeX/LaTeX and Support Programs on Your PC
The TeXLive 2007 system is a complete distribution of TeX, LaTeX,
and associated programs. At Rensselaer, ARC makes this software available
to the Rensselaer community in RCS space. Included are:
- the contents of the TeXlive2007 CD, ready for installation
- a few necessary support programs
- complete installation instructions
You do not need to download the files to your PC; you can install
from RCS in the same way you would install from a CD. But you first
need to connect to RCS space via sambasrv so that a drive is mapped
to the appropriate RCS directory. (Finding the files via the web
will not work: your PC must have a drive mapped.)
Note that you must not be behind a firewall when you map the drive!
Map \\sambasrv\swinstall as drive T: on your PC, as follows (also
see NOTE below):
After installation, if LaTeX and associated programs appear to not work properly, check the
- Right click on the My Computer desktop icon and, in the
pop-up menu that appears, select Map Network Drive....
- A Map Network Drive window comes up. Select T: as the drive letter in the
Drive: drop-down list box. (You can use a different drive letter if
- Fill in the Path or Folder field by typing \\sambasrv\swinstall
Make sure the Reconnect at logon box is not selected or checked.
Click Finish or OK.
- Provide your RCS userID and password if you are asked for a logon ID or
- The T: window may open automatically; if it doesn't,
double-click the My Computer desktop icon. Inside, you should have
an icon labeled
swinstall on 'Samba (sambasrv)' (T:).
Double-click this icon to open the drive.
- Open the latex folder, then open and print the installation
instructions, install-windows.pdf. Follow these instructions carefully;
they will guide you first through
installation of the TeXLive system and then its support
Note that the installation instructions are also available on the
Before mapping a network drive to sambasrv, you need to enable
plain text passwords. If you haven't done this already (you will get an error
that you are not "authorized" when you try to map a drive), you can
do it easily by following the instructions at:
If you have questions or problems installing this software, contact
the Help Desk at