Pay special attention to syllable and word stress as you complete these activities.
Part I: Tell some phrases you could use to approach a classmate for the first time and start a conversation. Your instructor will list them on the chalkboard. Examples:
1. Excuse me, could I please borrow a pen (a pencil, etc.)?
2. Do you happen to have the time (change for a dollar, etc.)?
3. Hello, my name is ...(name). What's yours?
4. What do you think of this weather (this activity, etc.)?
5. That's a beautiful sweater (jacket, etc.).
6. I've been wanting to talk to you for a long time. Can I buy you a cup of coffee?
7. Did you do the homework?
8. Have you started the project?
Exercise taken from Language and Culture in Depth: A Competency-Based Listening /Speaking Book