Users (Both Rensselaer and non-Rensselaer)
· Undergraduate physics majors at Rensselaer
· Undergraduate physics majors from other colleges who attended REU (research experience for undergraduates) program hosted by our department (in the past three years: Siena College, College of Charleston, SUNY at Geneseo, Elizabethtown College, Harvey Mudd College, College of Wooster, Hamilton College, Bucknell University, etc.)
· Graduate students at Rensselaer
· Science of IT course in 2002 for undergraduate students in IT
· Optical Fiber Communication Lab to control optical systems for physics undergraduate majors
· Junior level undergraduate experimental physics laboratory.
· Remote lab on the WEB (http://nina.ecse.rpi.edu/shur/remote/) between Rensselaer (Mike Shur) and Norwegian University of Science and Technology (Professor Tor A. Fjeldly)
This remote semiconductor laboratory has experiments on the characterization of p-n junction diodes and Si MOSFETs that are performed over the Internet.
Available experiments are : Diode I-V characteristics; NMOS Id-Vd characteristics;
NMOS Id-Vg characteristics; PMOS Id-Vd characteristics; PMOS Id-Vg characteristics;
· Wideband gap semiconductors
· Ultrafast Photonics
· Tera Hertz sensing and imaging
· Nanostructure materials and characterization
· Microelectronic materials
· Automated Internet Measurement
· Control temperature cycles and temperature of furnace
· Control the motor for Frequency Resolved Optical Gating
· Control panel of Continuous Wave Laser
· Control electrical test equipment for low k dielectrics' properties, e.g.:
HP 4280 A C-V meter (Capacitance-Voltage measurements)
HP 4140 B pA meter/DC Voltage Source (Current-Voltage measurements)
HP 4192 A Impedance Analyzer (L,C, R, dispersion factor measurements)
· Control deposition process of Cu and Cobalt CVD (chemical vapor deposition)
· Control a set of Frequency Resolved Optical Grating system
· Control a fiber laser system
· Control pump-probe experiment
· Monitor furnace for problems and take actions
· Automate the control of gas (Argon, Hydrogen and or oxygen) through mass flow controllers while maintaining a fixed pressure by monitoring the pressure
· Take measurements from two Lockin amplifiers as functions of time, to obtain a measure of the electrical resistance of thin films during growth
· Take counts measurement from channeltron as a function of electron voltage in diffraction experiments
· Take electron count measurement for electron multiplier as a function of electron kinetic energy in Auger electron spectroscopy for surface analysis
· "Advanced solutions for performing real experiments over the internet", Raymond Berntzen, Jan Olav Strandman, Tor A. Fjeldly and Michael S. Shur, ICEE in Oslo, August 6-11, 2001,
[Session: Multimedia Enhanced Laboratory Classes 1], http://fie.engrng.pitt.edu/icee
· Textbook "Experiments in Modern Physics" by Jim Napolitano and Adrian Melissinos will have some emphasis on "modern" data acquisition and refer to LabView, 2002.
· "A Direct Comparison between Terahertz Time-Domain Spectroscopy and Far-Infrared Fourier Transform Spectroscopy", P.Y. Han, M. Tani, M. Usami, S. Kono, R. Kersting, and X.-C. Zhang, J. Appl. Phys. 89, 2357 (2001).
· “Real time resistivity measurement during sputter deposition of ultra thin copper films on silicon dioxide surfaces”, E.V. Barnat, D. Nagakura, Pei-I Wang, and T.-M. Lu, submitted to J. of Appl. Phys. 2001.
· “Large-angle in-plane light scattering from fough surfaces”, T. Karaback, Yiping Zhao, M. Stowe, B. Quayle, G.-C. Wang, and T.-M. Lu, Applied Optics, 39, 4658 (2000).
· Book: Characterization of amorphous and crystalline rough surfaces: principle and applications, Yiping Zhao, G.-C. Wang, and T.-M. Lu, Vol. 37, Experimental methods in the physical sciences, Academic Press, 2000.
· "Conducting Laboratory Experiments over the Internet", H. Shen, Z. Xu, B. Dalager, V. Kristiansen, Ø. Strøm, M.S. Shur, T.A. Fjeldly, J.-Q. Lü, and T. Ytterdal, IEEE Trans. On Education, August (1999).
· "AIM-Lab - A System for Conducting Semiconductor Device Characterization via the Internet", M.S. Shur, T.A. Fjeldly, and H. Shen, Late news paper, The 1999 International Conference on Microelectronic Test Structures (ICMTS 1999), Gøteborg, Sweden, March (1999).
· "Automated Internet Measurement Laboratory (AIM-Lab) for Engineering Education", T.A. Fjeldly, M.S. Shur, H. Shen, and T. Ytterdal, Proceedings of 1999, Frontiers in Education Conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico (1999).
· "Remote Engineering Education: Performing Laboratory Experiments over the Internet", H. Shen, M.S. Shur, T.A. Fjeldly, and K. Smith, INTERTECH-2000, Cincinnati, Ohio, June (2000).
· "Aim-Lab: A System For Remote characterization Of Electronic Devices And Circuits Over The Internet", T.A. Fjeldly, M.S. Shur, H. Shen, and T. Ytterdal, Second
IEEE Int. Caracas Conf. on Devices, Circuits and Systems (ICCDCS-2000), Cancun, Mexico, March (2000).